Friday, September 5, 2014

TO AUCTION OR NOT TO AUCTION!

       Last January, we went to Russo & Steel, Barrett-Jackson and a couple of other venues for their auctions. As we sat there and watched, I was amazed at the number of cars and quality of some of the vehicles that were being auctioned.
        After awhile, I realized that most of the bidders were looking for a GOOD deal.
        I brought my buyers guide price book and compared prices and noticed that 80% of the auctioned prices were under priced, 10% were spot on and 10% were off the chart. It only takes two buyers that want the same car to run the price out of sight. We noticed this several times at different venues.
        I’ve come to the realization that a vehicle is worth what a buyer is willing to pay for it.
        If you have a vehicle and you bring it to auction with no reserve be prepared to lose money. But if you have a reserve, it might not sell and you still have the vehicle. And you paid all the fees and other costs to try to sell it at auction.
        I would first try to sell a vehicle on my own or list it online and hope for the best.

Keep Them Rolling!

Bill

No comments: